Saturday, December 15, 2007

hangin out

Was there ever anyone you really wanted to just hang out with? Somebody you really wanted to be around and just be there? Someone you respected or thought was ultra cool and that it would be a really cool thing if you could spend the day with them? Okay, say there was someone famous, or in a band that everyone knows, and you had the opportunity to just hang out for the day. They met you and after a little while thought you were pretty cool so they offered to let you tag along with them for the day. Would you go? We get like that when we meet someone famous, or at least I do. We meet them and think we will suddenly strike up such a wonderful conversation that it will somehow hit them that we are someone they should have a good daily dose of, and BOOM, we're in. And then we think, "I can't wait to tell everyone about this!" Then years later we will casually mention to strangers at parties how we are good friends with them.

I have a 19 month old, and if you have kids, you know they won't leave you alone in the bathroom. Especially if you are the only other person in the house. They just don't know the bathroom code of conduct and all they know is that you are in there, they aren't, and therefore there is something they are missing. Today it hit me. My daughter just really likes me that much. She wants to be around me, even if it means hangin out in the bathroom. She wants me to read her a book while I'm watching tv, or sit in my lap as I type this. She just knows that I am someone she wants to be around. I take this for granted or even miss the point many times. I think to myself or even tell her, "I'm busy doing something right now, you'll have to wait. Yes I know, I love you to." Just now, when she realized I am not going to pick her up and put her in my lap, she leans in and kisses my arm. I chuckle at first and then I sit back in amazement. She really likes me that much. She loves me and loves to be with me.

I'm so glad God isn't like me. But He really likes me that much. He loves me and loves to be with me. I was going to put this in the context of we should want to be with Him like we want to be with that famous person, but I just realized, to Him, we are that famous person that He wants to be around and then tell everyone about it later at parties.

I simply sit amazed and lost for words.

He really likes us that much.

No comments: